Wednesday, July 6, 2011

ELAG Presentation on the WMS

Here is my recent presentation at the ELAG 2011 conference.

It's a top level summary of some of the work we've done at OCLC on the Web-scale Management Services (WMS).

The WMS is a next generation Integrated Library System.  But of more interest here, the WMS is a complex Services Oriented Architecture (SoA) based system, designed to operate at significant scale, deployed across multiple cloud installations with demanding requirements for both speed and reliability.  The WMS has defined the foundation technology and architecture on which OCLC's extensible platform is based ... but more of that at a later date perhaps.

I will be expanding on each of the design choices we made in coming weeks - this hopefully will help those either in the process of designing large-scale SoA based systems or those just interested in software architecture.

There is a recording of all of the ELAG presentations available here, and my presentation in particular here.



Likely I'll cover another subject close to my heart - software coupling - before I expand on the above.